ZHelper is a mapping program designed to be used with Fred Coughlin's Zelda Randomizer. Version 4 has been rewritten nearly from scratch, adding many new features and revamping existing ones. The source files are included in the download, so feel free to mess with it, use it on your stream, or whatever as long as you're not doing something illegal with it.
Click on a screenshot to view a larger version.
- A detailed, markable overworld map showing where default secrets are, with support for all randomizer modes
- A redesigned dungeon map system designed to be MUCH more feature-rich than ZH3's dungeon mapper
- Automatic narrowing-down of which dungeons a given dungeon map can be as you mark dungeon screens (only if SRL mode is OFF)
- Markers for things like triforce pieces, heart containers, and all dungeon/overworld items
- Player markers for overworld and dungeon screens so you know who has been where
- Marking of starting screens for all overworld and dungeon maps
- A screen to mark helpful hints given by the old man
- Network mode which allows collaborative tracking for up to 8 players at a time
- Randomizers for a few things that fcoughlin's randomizer doesn't change (a lot of it is already in existing randomizers now)
If you'd like to test out ZHelper in your browser, there is an HTML5 version available: v5 Beta
You can download the current version of ZHelper 4 (v4.45) for Windows here.
The most current Windows version compiled in GM Studio 2 can be found here (NOTE: This build is untested!)
If you're looking for the tournament stream version, you can grab it here. It includes instructions in the readme. Its very stripped down compared to the normal ZHelper 4.
v5 Beta builds are now available at the bottom of this page! Check them out if you want to test the newest features.
It is highly reccommended that you check out the manual/help page, even if you've used ZHelper before, as many things have been changed over time.
Here are the manuals for v4 and the v5 Preview builds. They should explain everything you need to know.
- Nintendo for making Zelda 1.
- Fred Coughlin for making the Zelda Randomizer.
- Thank you to everyone who has helped with their suggestions, testing, and feedback over the course of ZHelper's development! This thing wouldn't be in its current state without your help!
Click on a version number to download that version. For a more complete version history and download links for old versions, see this page.
v4.45 (GMS 1.4 Build) (GMS2 Build) (01/06/20)
- Made the updater not pop up a messagebox unless clicked. It will still show the status at the bottom right of the main menu.
- Added an option to switch display of the overworld coordinates on the map to A1-H16 style instead of hexadecimal. It only changes on the map right now, and also disables the player indicators on the overworld map to make room for the longer string.
v5 Beta Builds
NOTE: These are beta builds, and may contain bugs! Use at your own risk!
v4.99.17-Windows - Linux (10/01/23)
v4.99.16-Windows - Linux (10/01/23)
- Fixed the updater causing a crash if you move off the main menu before the HTTP event fires.
- Adjusted window scaling to calculate the max scale in 0.25x increments. This allows for slightly larger windows on 1440p and 4k monitors.
- Added the ability to reorder item box icons. Just a test for now before I do this with everything. Must be changed in the config file until the options menu is added.
- Fixed pressing Delete on item boxes and dungeon hearts not syncing at all with heart shuffle turned off.
- Added Compact UI mode. You lose shop tracking and counters, but the window is a bit shorter. Allows for larger max scale.
- Fixed the first run update check not working properly.